Real Estate Licensing in North Carolina

If you’re interested in starting a career in real estate in North Carolina, you’ll need to obtain a Broker License, which is the entry-level license for the industry in this state. As a new licensee, you’ll start as a Provisional Broker, which means you can practice real estate under the supervision of a Broker In Charge (BIC).

To become a full broker in North Carolina, you’ll need to complete post-licensing courses that total 90 hours (three 30-hour courses). You have 18 months from the date your license is issued to finish these courses. But don’t worry, as a Provisional Broker, you’ll be able to perform the same tasks as a full broker, except for those your Broker In Charge restricts.

It’s important to choose a good Broker In Charge to help guide you in your new career. We can assist you with finding one that matches your needs. Keep in mind that you’ll need to work with a firm to practice real estate as a Provisional Broker. You won’t be able to practice on your own without a connection to a Broker In Charge.

Once you’ve obtained your license, most people aim to become practicing Real Estate Agents. This means you’ll be able to represent buyers and sellers in the purchase or sale of residential or commercial properties. You may also choose to focus on leasing properties as a Property Manager, or providing Broker Price Opinions.

Whatever your real estate goals, we’re here to help guide you through the process of obtaining your Broker License and launching your new career in North Carolina.


What is the difference between an Agent and a Broker?

In North Carolina, the entry-level license is called a Broker License. At first, you’ll be what we call a Provisional Broker. In order to be a full broker in North Carolina, you’ll have to pass your post licensing courses, which are a total of 90 hours (three 30-hour courses). You have 18 months from the date that your license is issued, to get those three courses completed. However, as a provisional broker, you can do the same things that a full broker can do; there are no restrictions, other than what your supervising broker doesn’t want you to do. For example, if you wanted to do commercial real estate, and you are working with a residential firm, your Broker In Charge might deny that request. It’s important to find a good Broker In Charge, and we can help with that.

Do I have to work with an agency or can I just do it all on my own?

You’ll need to work with a firm, because you can’t practice as a Provisional Broker without being connected with a Broker In Charge. (See “difference between an Agent and a Broker” above.)

What can I do with a real estate license?

Most people want to be a practicing Real Estate Agent, representing buyers and sellers of residential or commercial Real Estate, or leasing commercial or residential properties as a Property Manager. You can also provide Broker Price Opinions.

Do I need a license to invest in real estate?

It’s a good idea to have your Real Estate License, so that you can represent yourself in transactions, and save on commission fees. However, it’s not required in order to buy real estate and sell real estate with your own money.

Does my North Carolina license work in other states?

No, your North Carolina license does not work in other states. In order to get licensed in most other states, you’ll need to just take their state portion of the exam, since you already passed the national portion in North Carolina.

What kind of Continuing Education do I need, in order to maintain my license?

Once you get your license, you’ll be able to get all of the Post-license and Continuing Education you need through the Triangle Real Estate School. You’ll have three classes which you need to take within 18 months of licensure (referred to as Post-license Courses 301, 302, and 303), then Continuing Education annually after that.